Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Beauty Detective - Drug Store Brand Makeup, Wet N Wild

Ladies, don’t sleep on drug store brand makeup!!!

In my quest to establish myself as a successful makeup artist, I’ve been researching and exploring different makeup brands. A lot of these makeup brands come from local drug stores like CVS or Walgreens. I thought it would be interesting to share my findings with you. So, the next few posts will be all about the drug store brand products that have become some of my favorites.

I’ve found even established makeup artists use drug store brand makeup. For example, Sam Fine, a well known makeup artist to the stars, stocks his kit with Black Opal Stick Foundation. Others use the Cover Girl Queen Collection and even the Eyes, Face, and Lips (ELF) brand which can be found at Target for $1 to $3. (Beauty Tip: ELF has awesome makeup brushes for $1, check it out)! I find this interesting and prove you don’t have to spend big bucks at department store counters to buy quality makeup to achieve a great everyday look.

One of my favorite drug store brands is Wet N Wild. This brand is also a favorite on You Tube. Hundreds of Wet N Wild makeup tutorials and reviews can be found on You Tube and popular beauty blogs.

I remember Wet N Wild as a pre-teen. I remember buying their black pencil eyeliner and sneaking it on when I got to school and washing it off when I returned home. Well, this brand has come up since then. I love their eye shadows, gel eyeliner, and even their lipsticks.

Their eyeshadows come in various pallets ranging from trios to pallets that offer up to eight shades. These pallets are very affordable ranging from $2.99 to $4.99. Ulta has the line for a few bucks more than what you would pay at CVS or Walgreens.


My favorite eyeshadow pallet by Wet N Wild is the Comfort Zone pallet that includes 8 neutral shades in greens, browns, and gold. The other pallet I reach for often is the Vanity pallet which also includes neutral shades of gold and browns. Wet N Wild mixes their eyeshadows by offering both matt and shimmery shades in each pallet. The shadows in their trio pallets for some reason come off chalky or too shimmery. I’m not sure why there is a difference in the quality of the shadows between the pallets. I do know I have never had a problem with the shadows in the six or eight color pallets. Another good thing about these eyeshadow pallets is that they are perfect for beginners. Each eyeshadow tells you where to apply the shadow. Descriptions are engraved on each shadow as lid, crease, brow bone, or definer.

Their black gel eyeliner rivals M.A.C.’s black Fluidline gel eyeliner. This liner goes on extremely black, is not too shiny and stays put without smudging. Compared to paying $15 at the M.A.C. counter, I prefer to spend $4.99 at my local CVS knowing I’m not sacrificing quality.

I just started exploring their lipsticks and have two matt colors. I’ve worn one color once. Although it’s a matt lipstick, it was not dry and went on pretty smooth. I’ll have to wear both lipsticks a few more times to form a better opinion.

Overall, Wet N Wild products have my full attention. If you are looking to spend less money on makeup and have always wondered about this brand, I would recommend going for it. You will never know until you try.





Here is a look I did one day using the following Wet N Wild products:

Comfort Zone pallet (green and gold shadows)
Black gel eyeliner
Lipstick #912C (rosey nude color)
Normal foundation routine

No comments:

Post a Comment